Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Comfort Writing

Once in a while, someone asks me why I don't have dessert foods in my house.  My answer is a simple one - "I'd eat them."  Sweets are a major comfort food for me, and a big part of the reason my weight has stayed largely the same for years is that I don't keep that sort of food around and I only bake when it's for others.

Which is kind of a shame sometimes, because I make some damn good pies.

Anyway, the idea of comfort food fits with something I discovered when I was looking through my idea file.  I found a story idea I'd largely forgotten about (yes, I wrote it down so I wouldn't have to remember it), partly inspired by a song and set in a place I thought up long ago.  I started wondering if I could make something of this, and then I ran into something that made me stop, blink, and sigh.

I'd noted that this idea could be yet another attempt to write two characters I've written as the lead couple of seven different books.  They've been through multiple names and incarnations, many of which I've talked about here, and I set them aside about two years ago, figuring I needed to write some other people.

This made me wonder if trying to write something with them, yet again, might actually be a good thing.

As anyone who's read this blog over the past few months can tell, I'm not in a good place with my writing.  I've gone from not being able to make plots-in-progress work, to getting frustrated with everything and closing my documents after less than five minutes, to not even trying to write or plot anything.  So the idea of writing some characters I know well, in a world that's been in my head since 2003, has a certain appeal.

This, I think, is a kind of comfort writing.  When everything else is too damn difficult, fall back on something that I know works, something I can hash out without getting frustrated.  Because it's better to work on something than nothing, right?

Granted, I still don't know if I'm going to pursue this; I looked over the notes when I was tired and frustrated and I know better than to make decisions when I feel like that.  And the story notes are a rough collection of vague ideas that I'd need to filter down to a single concept to make a story out of it.  But there's potential there, and it's been a long time since I wrote in an academic setting.  Also, a possible title for this thing was "Thesis Papers and Magic Vapors", which is kind of funny but suggests entirely wrong things about the story.  I probably won't use it, but I had to share it.

To be fair to myself, this might be a non-issue.  I've managed to take down some notes on other projects recently and I feel like my enthusiasm and desire to get to work is slowly coming back.  So we'll see how it goes.

So, what about the rest of you?  Do you have things in your writing that you fall back on when it gets difficult?  What would your comfort writing be?  And is it Thanksgiving yet?  Because I kind of want to make a pie.

8 comments:

  1. It's good to hear the characters are sparking interest again. :) I have a full family of characters that I tend to fall back on, but then again, I haven't reached the end of their stories yet, so I suppose I'll have to see if that's the same after I'm done.

    Mmmm. Pie. What's your favorite? (I like apple, myself.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, that's the thing about having characters who you keep working with - it's hard to say if you'll ever truly be done with them.

      And my pie specialties are pumpkin, chocolate pecan, and s'mores truffle. :P

      Delete
  2. Try the comfort writing. It might lead to more.
    We don't eat a lot of sweets or fatty foods, mostly because we just don't buy them. Makes it easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to try, but I'm still having the same issue with that as with everything else I work on - these days, there's just nothing there.

      Delete
  3. I have yet to reject one that made it to the 'story idea' file. I have ideas for books but no time to write them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We clearly keep different story idea files, then. ^_^ And I hear you about time. I've gotten good about making time to write, but nowadays, that time goes wasted.

      Delete
  4. I say go for it. If you find inspiration, chase it like the Ice Cream truck. Who cares if it's old characters - you may start writing it and find you're writing something totally different. Just take that first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. If I felt like working on anything, that's probably what I'd do. >_<

      Delete