Saturday, September 29, 2012

Apologies to a Story.

Dear story I'm plotting:

I'm sorry I ignored you, disregarded you, and otherwise neglected you for this long.

I'm sorry I came up with silly reasons why I wasn't going to write you.  I thought writing you would be a bad idea, because I've plotted you and your kin as a trilogy, and writing you didn't seem like a good idea.  I'd like to think you'd understand - it's easier to sell a stand-alone story than the first part of a series.  I think.  I'm not entirely sure, now that I think about it.  Would a would-be agent be glad to know the writer has more planned?

I'm sorry for my ignorance, story, because it's led to you not getting written.

I'm sorry I neglected you in favor of something I swore I could make work.  Again, I'd like to think you'd understand.  I mean, I've already written two versions of that story, so who could blame me for thinking the third time would be the charm?  I'm further sorry I deliberately ignored you while I struggled with plotting that other story, all those nights I tried to figure out why it always, always seemed like there was something wrong with the plot.  I appreciate your patience while I went through revision after revision.

Though I think I heard you laughing at the relief I felt when I decided to let that other story go.  I forgive you.  A little bit of schadenfreude on your part is more than warranted.

More than anything, I'm sorry you've had to wait so long.  I'm sorry I didn't start working on you two months ago, while I instead wrote 103,000 words I hope to never look at again.  Hell, I'm sorry I fought against the basic idea behind you for years, because I didn't think I could pull it off.  I appreciate you proving me wrong as soon as I started working on you.

I hope you'll forgive me.  I hope we'll work together to create something awesome.  And I hope I'll be able to start on you soon.

Dear Self:

I apologize for making a blog entry after I've been drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment