This week's blog entry being a day late is brought to you by me spending most of Tuesday night running dungeons with my World of Warcraft guildmates. Totally worth it.
The title says everything, and the comments on last week's entry were all correct: my experiment with working just on one thing for a month didn't work out, and the best thing was to set it aside and do other things. Thanks to everyone who commented, by the way; it's a lot easier for me to realize I've made a mistake when every single person who comments suggests I stop what I'm doing. :P
I don't mean any of that in a bad way, though, and I'm not upset, despite how dismal that opening paragraph sounds. (It's my usual self-deprecating humor, I swear.) In retrospect, I really should have known it would turn out this way - many of my problems with writing come from wanting to work on something that I just can't figure out. When I say I'm only going to work on one thing for a month, that one thing needs to be in something better than the early plotting stages.
Hell, that one thing needs to be a novel that I'm ready to start writing.
I'm not entirely sure why I feel the need to jump between projects so often. There are times when it feels like I'm not doing much of any real development on anything, but I know that's likely my constant feeling that I'm never doing enough. These things take time to develop, and while I might have days where all I do is take down a few character notes and add in a new thing or two about the setting, I know it all adds up. And some of the plots I've taken the longest to fully develop are the ones that turned into the best stories.
...now that I think about it, I've blogged before about having to let ideas sit for a while before getting anything good out of them. I'd really like to have the writing process involve a little less of me having to re-learn things over and over again, but surely remembering that I've learned this before counts for something.
So, yes. I've set aside the project known as T3F, and things have been going better since then. I've been spending some time with one of my crazier ideas, abbreviated as TPoN, and while I'm not even at the point where I can start to hash out the plot, I'm getting glimpses and discovering new things about it along the way, and I hope that I can capture the madness I see in this thing and properly get it on the page. I've also been working on the sequel to STARWIND (tentatively titled TEMPLE; that will change), which is its own weird thing and deserves a blog entry someday.
I also got my first beta reader feedback on STARWIND, which has opened up some new ideas and led to about two pages' worth of notes for me. Soon I'll be diving back into that book, cackling with glee at getting these people into even more trouble.
Thus concludes the progress (or lack thereof) report from the experiment I started at the beginning of this month. I wish it had gone better, but at least I've learned one more thing that doesn't work. And that'll save me time in the future, unless I forget it and try it again a few years from now and end up writing another blog entry remarkably similar to this one.
Next week: IWSG.