Tuesday, August 8, 2017

On Character Transfers.

To anyone who also plays WoW and reads this blog: no, I'm not talking about that kind of character transfer.

Now that I've started with a joke that will go over most of my readers' heads, what I'm actually talking about is: have you ever moved a character from one story into another?

A few days ago, I made the sort-of difficult decision to set aside a plot-in-progress.  This is nothing new, and since this was the second incarnation of this plot and I'd been struggling with it already, it was for the best.  But there was one character from the dozen or so I'd been working with who would not leave my head, and even if I wasn't going to write the story I created her for, I still wanted to write her.

Then, as I was trying to get to sleep on Saturday night, I realized I could drop her into another story I'm working on.

I'm not really surprised I thought of this; the character has an incredibly harsh background, and putting her into this world will make things worse.  (I might have finally learned to enjoy tormenting my characters, but that's another blog entry.)  And having a different set of characters to interact with brought out new sides of her.  She'd always been a little passive in her initial story, and putting her in a post-apocalyptic fantasy tale that's part the anime "Black Lagoon" and part "Mad Max: Fury Road" gave her more of a reason to find her strength and take things into her own hands.

Imagining her interacting with the story's cast also gave me a new opportunity to write a sort of relationship I've been wanting to try for a while, so there's that too.

There was a time when I would have thought this impossible.  I would have said that character background and personality are an intrinsic part of where they came from and where they are now, and that pulling a character from one story into another was really just writing someone new with the same name and a similar personality.  And that might be true for someone who's actually been written.

But when a character's three pages of notes and an absolute personality that still only exists somewhere in my head, things are a little more fluid.  While where she comes from has changed, being part of this harsher world has brought a defining moment of hers into greater light, and it'll make for a better character in the end.

Because there, near the book's end, she finally realizes that while others can hurt her, they cannot stop her.  And that's something that might have taken her an entire trilogy to learn in the original story.

Next week: probably more story babble, but things have largely been going well over the past few days, so at least it'll be positive story babble.  ^_^

8 comments:

  1. I can totally believe that a character conceived under one story concept might fit into another story -- with a totally different concept. Sometimes characters are like that: persistent and stubborn. Sort of like the cat who keeps climbing into my lap to sit there as a warm, heavy weight.

    "Hello. I am your character whether you like it or not!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might be the best possible metaphor for this situation. ^_^ The character is only cat-like in one very specific way, but I'll take it.

      Delete
  2. That makes sense that a well developed character could be moved and dropped into another story. If that works, run with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it does make sense, but it's something I've never done before. I've re-developed characters for a new world and story, but never just picked one up and dropped her elsewhere. We'll see how it goes.

      Delete
  3. Actually, my first thought with your title went straight to WoW. :)

    I don't know that I've moved a character from one story to another, but I did take a couple of characters from an incomplete novella, swap their POVs, and plopped them down into a short story. I've also merged a character from post-book-4 (who will no longer exist due to plot changes) into one who originally wasn't going to make it past book 3. Now they are the same guy, in an even worse situation than either of the previous incarnations had to deal with. (It's fun making things worse, isn't it?)

    Looking forward to maybe reading your transferred character one of these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did remember that you play WoW... which is why I left the joke in, since I knew at least one person would get it. :P

      And thank you. The story (currently abbreviated WP) is only in the planning stages, but it always helps to know that someone wants to read it when it's done. ^_^

      Delete
  4. If your character wants a different story, go with it. Characters often know best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...which is weird to think about in and of itself. I've always wondered how this person whom I've theoretically created know better how they should be doing things than I do? O_o

      Delete