Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Shutting Down.

As of this post, the blog is on hiatus until further notice, because I can't do this anymore.

I'm tired of sitting down every week to talk about what's not working.  I'm tired of talking about things I've learned that I should have figured out years ago, especially when I'm almost certain I've talked about learning that before.  I'm tired of finding new ways to say that another would-have-been story didn't work out.

This thing has become a weekly reminder of everything that's gone wrong with my attempt at a writing career, and I don't need that.

It feels like there's no point in talking about how things are going for me anymore.  Simply put, I'm in the worst place I've ever been.  Everything I come up with dies - I can't figure out how my plots are supposed to go, my attempts at character creation are shallow and empty, and my world-building is barely there.  I don't get excited at working with new ideas, and looking back at old ones seems pointless.

It feels like something broke in me.  I don't know how to get back to how I used to be, or how to push through it to get to where I can make things work again.

Before anyone asks, no, I'm not giving up writing.  I'm still trying, if "sitting in front of my computer unable to force myself to even open up my word processor" counts as trying.  But I don't want to talk about it anymore.

Anyway.  Thanks to those of you who've stuck with me through this thing.  I'm truly grateful for your encouragement and support over the years.  I don't know if I'll pick this up again, but if I do, I'll post it on Twitter as per usual.  I'll keep reading everyone's blogs when I can; I know y'all are working hard at this and I want to see you succeed.

Thank you and goodnight.

5 comments:

  1. Mason, sad to hear that. And if you are in the worst place ever, please don't withdraw further.
    Take the pressure off yourself. Your muse is about more than writing. Talk about something else inspiring or story-related. That might be what you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This isn't me withdrawing - this is me stepping away from something that's not doing me any good. The blog felt like an obligation, not something I actually wanted to do. And no matter what I talked about, it all came back to a weekly post about how things were going badly. So it's done for now.

      Delete
  2. I understand, Mason, and it makes sense. If blogging only serves as a negative reminder or emotional drain, then it's best to purge it from your life and replace it with more positive and constructive activities. If you do come back, I'll be here. :)

    I don't get on Twitter much, but I do get updates emailed to me, so I'll pop over there every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for understanding. And I'll still stop by on blogs and such - I don't want to lose touch with people completely, even if I'm not posting anymore.

      Delete
  3. Mason, I hope your time away is exactly what you need, but you will be missed.

    ReplyDelete