Sunday, October 6, 2013

How Happy an Ending?

As of a few minutes ago, I'm nearly done with the by-hand edits on The Accidental Warlock.  There are two chapters left, the final conflict and the wrap-up.  It's weird how long this has taken, and even weirder how much I've seen in editing it like this that I missed when reading it on my computer screen.  It's been so long since I did this, I'd forgotten what it was like, and I know now that this is an essential step of the editing process.

But most importantly, I'm almost to the end.

After I reach the end, I'll have a lot of changes to make.  I've already rewritten the first half of the first chapter. I also have entire chunks of the story to pull out and put in new places, paragraphs to delete, sections to rewrite with a different mood, and the occasional note that just says "FIX THIS".  And as a result of all this, there are major changes to the ending.

Not a single one of those changes is a good thing for the two main characters.

I now understand why some fans think writers hate their own characters - hell, a few times, I've asked myself if having things go so badly is really necessary.  And the answer is always 'yes'.  As I've said before, TAW already has more of a downer ending than any other book I've written.  But I gave some serious thought to the consequences of the characters' actions and realized I hadn't taken things as far as I should have.

There's not a lot I can say here without ruining the ending, but I know things have gotten a lot worse.  Not as bad as they could be, of course; I could have killed off the entire cast and had the main antagonist win, but that would leave me without these characters for a sequel.  ^_^  But I think the new ending works better overall, and puts everyone in a different place for whatever comes next.  This also means I have to figure out whatever comes next, as this new ending renders most of my plans for the sequel invalid.

It is, in part, still a happy ending.  Though it's one the main characters well and truly had to earn.  And I think the whole book will be better for it.

Next entry: now that I've talked about the ending (without really talking about the ending), and now that I might have a few new readers here, I think it's a good time to take more than a few sentences to actually say what The Accidental Warlock is all about.

12 comments:

  1. Yeah, when I do hand edits, I'm never very nice to myself. I always find places where I've circled a page or a paragraph and the only comment is "Do it better."

    Which is sort of funny because I'd never pass that on to someone else, I'm the only person I'm that mean too. Maybe I should edit myself like I edit others...

    And I still end up changing out all of the words. I just finished rewriting my most recent novel (I think I'm calling it STARBREAK now, we'll see), and I kept half of three different chapters. Everything else was taken from scratch to get it all in the same voice. This is why everyone says writing is rewriting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And could you turn off your captcha. I'm not an effing robot, but I am dyslexic and it sometimes takes me three tries to sort out the meaningless letters.

      Now to attack the beast again. (@#$% Captcha)

      Delete
    2. Writing really is rewriting, as well as cutting. There was a time when I didn't understand the whole "murder your darlings" thing; now I find sentences that I love and realize they're completely unnecessary. And they get cut.

      And I had no idea the captcha was on. Off to the options menu...

      Delete
  2. Congrats on getting your edits nearly done! I love doing paper edits, but haven't done any on my own work in way too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I finished tonight, just a few minutes ago. It's amazing what a difference it makes. Hope you can give it another go on your work soon.

      Delete
  3. LOL. My editor writes notes like "do better here" and "meh", which at this point just make me laugh. she's usually right, too.

    I'm new, and Id love to learn more about what TAW is about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if my editor wrote "meh", I'd be in half a tizzy wondering what sort of "meh" that was. It could mean so many things... none of them good. @_@

      And yes, next entry will cover TAW! I'm trying to do weekend updates now; I see a lot of people update during the week but I rarely have time on workdays.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, tough call to make! I myself prefer the HEAs, but you definitely have to do what fits your story!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. The first draft had a Happily Ever After, or at least a Happily Eventually After, but I have to gut that now. I don't think I even have a phrase for the new ending. Hrm.

      Delete
  5. First, I love your title.

    Second, best of luck with the ending. I'm sure it will be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. ^_^ Titles are often difficult, but thankfully this one came pretty easily. And the ending is going to be hard to write, but I think it'll be worth it. Even if my characters wouldn't agree with that. Oi.

      Delete